Spiritual disciplines bring us closer to God and can transform our lives. Below you will find several resources to help you develop some of the most common spiritual disciplines. These resources are recommended by our pastors and many of them are used by our staff in their spiritual journeys.
Bible Reading & Study Resources
Prince of Peace Bible Study
- Engage Bible Study meets weekly, September‐May, at Prince of Peace to read, discuss and grow together.
- Several Bible studies are available for personal or small group use.
- Lyman Coleman’s The Serendipity Bible
- Pray as You Go “This is a beautiful resource for engaging in daily Lectio Divina, or sacred reading of Scripture. It incorporates music, reading of Scripture and questions for prayer and reflection. This resource is available for Android and as an iTunes podcast.” – Pastor Jeff Marian
The Prince of Peace community utilizes the Weekly Connect for both personal and small group devotion. This resource also guides our Engage Bible Study and dives deeper into the Scripture for the upcoming weekend of worship.
Prayer & Meditation
There is no wrong way to pray. God loves you and wants to be in relationship with you. Here are some ways to deepen your relationship with God.
- Daniel Wolpert’s Creating a Life with God
- Richard Foster’s In Celebration of Discipline
- Henri Nouwen’s Out of Solitude, Can You Drink the Cup and Life of the Beloved
- The Daily Examen
- Rummaging for God (Pastor Jeff recommends this article on Examen)
- The Welcome Prayer
- Headspace “This is a secular app that I use regularly and absolutely love. It incorporates the basic principles of meditation which have roots in Christian tradition. Using this resource regularly can help you develop a sense of calm, clarity and peace.” – Pastor Jeff Marian
The 30 Day Challenge (.pdf) is a list of spiritual practices that will help you live the Good Life and experience a deeper relationship with God. Commit to practicing two things on this list each day for the next 30 days. You may choose the same two things every day, or mix it up and try several different practices over the course of the month.
A Spiritual Director is a companion who walks with you on your spiritual journey, and serves as a witness to the voice and discernment of God’s direction in your life. Spiritual Direction Basics (.pdf)