Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” – Genesis 12:1-3
God is on a mission to restore this broken world. It’s a mission that God will accomplish through ordinary people like Abram, you and me. God blesses people like us so that we can go out and bless others. So here’s my question: Are you on a mission?
Take a moment right now to watch this brief video by Pastor Dave Ferguson. Click here.
In the board arc of God’s story, God blessed all nations through Jesus, a descendent of Abraham (Matthew 1:1). As followers of Jesus we have been blessed with forgiveness, life, hope and peace. And then Jesus passed on to us the mission of sharing the blessing with the world. So let me ask you again: Are you on a mission?
I love the clarity of Pastor Ferguson’s challenge to bless our neighbors:
- B- Begin with prayer. Ask, “God, how do you want me to bless the people in the places you’ve planted me?”
- L- Listen. Really listen to people, without judgment or solutions.
- E- Eat. Sharing a meal or cup of coffee is the fertile soil in which relationships grow.
- S- Serve. If you eat with people and really listen to them they will tell you how to love them and you’ll know how to serve them.
- S- Story. When the time seems right, share the story of how Jesus has touched your life. God’s story has power, and so does your story.
You’re blessed. You’re empowered by the Holy Spirit. You’re on a mission.
Who are you going to bless today?
Jeff Marian serves at lead pastor at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Burnsville, MN